International Applicant

Welcome Internationally Educated New Applicants!

Am I Eligible to Immigrate to Manitoba?

Visit to determine whether you are eligible to immigrate to Manitoba. This will ensure you do not waste your time, money and effort applying to the CDHM in the event you are not eligible to immigrate to Manitoba.

It is important to note that the immigration process can take a long time. It is separate from registering with the CDHM. If you are approved to immigrate to Manitoba, you must still be accepted to write the National Dental Hygiene Certification Board Exam and complete the competency assessment. However, you do not need to complete the competency assessment if you are emigrating from the United States, have graduated from an accredited dental hygiene program, and also have practicing registration in a state of the United States, as Canada has a reciprocal agreement with this country.

Conversely, you may be qualified to practice as a dental hygienist in Manitoba but may be ineligible to immigrate. Therefore, it is essential that you work on both the immigration and the registration process at the same time.

*A Message to Internationally Educated Nurses (IEN) from Manitoba Shared Health and The Office of the Fairness Commissioner:

If you are an IEN, not registered and able to work as a nurse in the province, guidance and financial supports may be available to you as you pursue the pathway to nursing or other health related occupations. Applicants must reside in Manitoba, either as permanent residents or Canadian citizens. See the poster here [ Download ] for more information.

Financial Support

Am I able to get financial support to help me out during the process?

There may be financial supports available to you to help you out through this process. They include the following:

Employment Manitoba

Employment Manitoba delivers a full range of employment and training services to residents of Manitoba. Internationally Educated Professionals in need of assistance to re-enter their professions may be eligible for financial supports to help pay for costs such as tuition, books and living expenses. To learn more about these supports and the eligibility requirements, please visit an Employment Manitoba Centre in person.

Go to  to find the Employment Manitoba Centre nearest you.

Recognition Counts

Recognition Counts is a program that provides supports to skilled immigrants wishing to work in their fields of expertise in Manitoba. The program offers career and financial counseling, as well as the opportunity to apply for a loan of up to $10,000, to help with the costs associated with gaining employment in a profession or trade. To learn more visit

Manitoba Student Aid

Manitoba Student Aid is a supplemental financial assistance program for Manitobans who do not have sufficient resources to pay for their post-secondary education on their own. They provide various types of funding on behalf of the Manitoba Student Aid Program and the Canada Student Loans and Grants Programs. This funding includes repayable government student loans and non-repayable grants and/or bursaries. All applications are assessed to determine eligibility and financial need.

To learn more visit

Am I a Registered Dental Hygienist?

Registered dental hygienists are primary healthcare providers who have received dental hygiene specific training and are able to create dental hygiene care plans, provide clinical dental hygiene services, promote oral health services, and treat and prevent disease. Internationally educated dentists do not qualify as being considered a dental hygienist unless they have a diploma or degree in dental hygiene.

Example titles include:

  • dental hygienist
  • registered dental hygienist
  • oral hygienist

Anyone performing dental hygiene services must register him/herself with the College of Dental Hygienists of Manitoba prior to practicing dental hygiene.

How Does the System Work in Canada?

The dental hygiene profession is currently regulated in all Canadian provinces except Prince Edward Island. Each province has its own dental hygiene regulatory body. The requirements for registration in each province are quite similar.

If the regulator in another province assesses you and determines that your education and experience do not qualify you to become a registered dental hygienist, you will not get a different result if you apply to another regulator in an alternate province. This is because all the provincial dental hygiene regulatory bodies have worked together to develop criteria and requirements for registration.

Competency Assessment

After you successfully complete the National Dental Hygiene Certification Board Exam and if you did not receive your dental hygiene education from an accredited institution in the United States of America, you will be required to complete a clinical competency assessment.  This clinical competency assessment may not be available in Manitoba, and you may be directed to another province where this assessment is currently being offered.  Please contact the CDHM office at 204-219-2678 for information about a clinical competency assessment.


Before you can apply to the CDHM, you should determine whether your education and experience match with what is required to be a Registered Dental Hygienist in Manitoba. You will be required to write the National Dental Hygiene Certification Exam (NDHCE). There are two ways to be eligible to write the exam:

  1. Graduate from an accredited* dental hygiene educational program (or be within 4 months of graduating from such program at exam registration time) or,
  2. Be a graduate of a dental hygiene program that is not accredited* but meets all the required criteria necessary in order to have your educational credentials and qualifications assessed to determine eligibility to write the NDHCE (this process may help you determine if you wish to continue with the CDHM application process or if you should apply to a post-secondary educational institute for further learning)

Equivalency Assessment

As an internationally educated dental hygienist, you have the opportunity to establish your eligibility to write the NDHCE by having an assessment of your education and qualifications to determine eligibility to write the NDHCE. All information pertaining to the education and qualifications assessment process can be found on the NDHCB website.

On the website you will find the:

  • Educational Credentials and Qualifications Assessment for Eligibility to write the NDHCE Handbook
  • Application for Assessment of Educational Credentials and all appendices that will need to be completed and submitted (as instructed) in order for the assessment to proceed.
  • NDHCE Policies and Procedures

The cost for the assessment can be found on the NDHCB website.

At this time, there is no language proficiency test as part of this assessment. Please note that the NDHCE is available in the two official languages of Canada: English and French.

Generally, there are two types of assessment results:

  1. You meet the requirements and are eligible to write the NDHCE
  2. You do not meet the requirements and are not eligible to write the NDHCE.

A positive assessment result means that you are eligible to write the NDHCE and will receive a letter indicating your eligibility status.

A negative assessment result means that you have not received eligibility to write the NDHCE and you will receive a letter indicating specific deficiencies in your dental hygiene education.

* Accredited means: accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada (CDAC) or the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation (ADA/CODA)

Registration Process

Time and Cost

As you prepare for the registration process, it is important to note the following:

It can take months to over a year to become a registrant with the CDHM.

  • Documents required for application can take weeks or months to obtain
  • The NDHCB examination Equivalency Assessment takes up to eight weeks after all the documents have been received
  • The NDHCB examination Equivalency Assessment has a nonrefundable fee
  • You will be required to successfully complete a competency assessment which includes a clinical component

The NDHCB examination is provided three times per year (January, May, September)

  • You may have to wait months before you can take the exam

The current NDHCB Exam fees can be found on the NDHCB website

There are a number of fees in the CDHM registration process:

  • Competency assessment fee
  • First time application processing fee
  • Current annual registration fee

Please feel free to contact the CDHM office at 204-219-2678 to inquire about the application and registration process, and the current fees.